The key to enjoying your hot tub is to keep it clean. No one wants to relax in water that’s swimming with algae or infested with bacteria. Plus, if you let your spa get too dirty, you risk developing more intense contamination that’s much harder to handle.
That’s all the bad news. The good news is that cleaning your hot tub isn’t all that complicated, and well-maintained spas require minimal work. In fact, if you clean regularly, you shouldn’t have to worry about any of those problems.
Before you begin your cleaning regimen, it’s important to start by investing in a good water testing kit. You can get one from your local pool supply store or home store. Once you have a kit, you should test your spa water regularly to make sure you have the correct chemical balance. Maintaining this balance is an important key to a clean, healthy hot tub.
Once you’re ready to start cleaning your hot tub, follow this basic regimen to get the best results:
- Drain the water.
- Clean and sanitize the spa surface using a soft sponge or rag and a non-abrasive cleanser that doesn’t create suds. Your owner’s manual should list a few recommended brands for your specific spa type.
- Carefully remove hot tub pillows and clean them with a mild solution of water and soap. Be sure to rinse them thoroughly to remove all the soap residue.
- Remove your hot tub lid, hose it off to remove debris, and scrub all surfaces with a very mild solution (think about 1 tsp. of soap to 3 gallons of water). Be sure to thoroughly rinse the lid, and pat it dry.
- Remove filters and hose them off to remove any built-up debris and dirt.
- Wipe down the outside cabinet of your hot tub and spray it with a mild solution similar to that used in step #4.
How often you do this hot tub cleaning regimen varies based on how many people use it on a regular basis. If it’s heavily used, once a month is probably good. If you use it more sporadically, once every two or three months should be fine. Cleaning your hot tub might not be the most enjoyable activity in the world, but doing it regularly ensures that you’ll have a great experience every time you use it.